10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Discover More About Prices and Repair Services At Circle Automotive Inc in Monmouth Junction
what our customers say
I was involved in an accident, and Circle Automotive was called in to tow and store my vehicle. For 2 months I have been back and forth with 3 different insurance companies and Circle Automotive has been a GOD SEND. They have been amazingly helpful and patient - not only offering guidance but also HELPING me get the insurance companies to move. I really cannot say enough and will DEFINITELY be using them as my repair shop once I'm back behind the wheel! THANK YOU SO MUCH CIRCLE AUTOMOTIVE!
I wish I could give a MILLION STARS. Police called for a tow. I was rescued by the owner of CIRCLE AUTOMOTIVE during the storm of 1/23/16 At 1AM off of Route 1. Not only was I rescued, He was GOD SENT, HONEST AND KIND considering the weather. I wasn't ripped off. The owner and his employees took GREAT care of me and more importantly, my Madza RX8. I pray never to have to be rescued again, but if I have to I will call them. I recommend anyone who is in need to call them too. MANY, MANY THANKS!